Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Try Something Tuesday – Take a Walk !

P3170007

I have been attending Monday Meditation class at Full Spectrum Wellness for over three years now.

I have to honestly say that there are very few beneficial practices that I have adopted that I have been so dedicated to and been able to really stick to.

There is something about being in a group of people who are all present and wanting to live in the moment for an entire hour that feels so very, very good to my Soul.

My wonderful instructor and friend, Deb, sets a casual tone in the class.

Move if you need to, breathe however your body works best, sit on the floor with a back jack or on a chair.  The most important thing is to have compassion for yourself and know that there is no such thing as a wrong way to meditate. That you are taking this precious time for yourself (and the world) is the key.

Occasionally, Deb switches things up. Last night we were a small group, only 4 participants. Upon request, Deb began our evening with a walking meditation.

For about 15 minutes, we all walked in a large circle around the room, slowly, mindfully, paying great attention to our feet and our stride, and all of the sensations this activity brought with it.

While I have done this meditation before, last night something totally clicked in me. I really reached a beautiful state of relaxation and came fully present in my body. Man, did it feel good !

And when we sat down to continue the rest of our meditation, I was so comfortable and centered that I really got to experience some deep and powerful present moment thought.

Last night was the best night of meditation that I have ever experienced. And I really believe that preparing my body with the walking meditation was the key.

Walking meditation doesn’t have to take place in a class or indoors. It is an activity that anyone who can walk can do and can be practiced anywhere in our day to day lives.

I found this great link to instructions on how to begin a walking meditation instruction, from a site called WildMind.org. It is Buddhist in nature but completely non-religious. Not only does the author explain what some of the benefits of this practice are, but it is also all about adapting the walking meditation to your own needs. 

So it’s Try Something Tuesday, Beautiful Ones.

Are you ready to walk this way ? Winking smile 

See you on the trail !

11 comments:

Sherry said...

Mindful walking...I'm ready to walk this way!!! xoxo

Snap said...

I walked on the treadmill this morning at the gym and will do my mindful walking later today. Good for the soul!

Lynn Cohen said...

I Love your little art piece that goes with the walking meditation story. So colorful and full of motion!

I too walk on a treadmill for cardio health and weight control.
I'll have to think of ways of making it more meditative.
However, I also walk outside and enjoy SEEING nature around me and that act is indeed meditative even if the side gains are health orientated.

Anonymous said...

Nice post Kim. That's why I love labyrinths. Enjoy your meditative movement...xox

Cate Rose said...

Very inspiring. And thanks for the link to WildMind!

Kate Robertson said...

Walking is one of my favorites and walking mindfully is even better.

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

I can't help but hear that song in my head ..."walk this way..." - some heavy metal band I think. Yup, glad to hear you slipped into some deep vibes. Showing up and practising is what got you there.

beth said...

i love to walk....love love love to walk.....and now that you've mentioned it....sometimes it is a form of meditation for me. wow. who knew ??

well i guess you did :)

xoxo

bacon said...

I think I will practice compassion to myself by walking. How wonderful. And boy, do I ever love your artwork of the girl. So inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Walk This Way indeed!!! Love your post my amazing daughter!!So glad you found a place to rest your heart, mind and uplift your spirit!! I love you,
Mom

Fallingladies said...

Thanks for the link, i'm going to check that out! I love walking and NEED to do it more mindfully. Oh, and yeah! I received your packet! A wonderful bit of fun I am so thrilled to have some of yourart, and stones!!!